Last Wednesday we took Brody back to Dr. Agolia for his weight check. He had been on Zantac three times a day, for two weeks, and we felt that his spitting up was getting worse. In the three weeks since his 4 month check up, he only gained 4 ounces, putting his weight at 12 lbs, 14 oz. Dr. Agolia changed his medicine to Prevacid, and suggested we see a GI specialist for some more advice.
So, today we visited Dr. Nasir.
|Doesn't he look like such a big boy?|
Brody's weight at Dr. Nasir's office was 12 lbs, 15 oz. So close to Wednesday's weight at Dr. Agolia's office. I am sure it was just the difference in the scale not an actual gain. They measured him at 26 inches, which means he grew another whole inch since 4 month checkup. I think Brody is just going to be long and skinny.
|Brody and Dr. Nasir|
Dr. Nasir said that his upper GI is pretty much normal, and we are just have a "Happy Spitter" on our hands. We just need to figure out a way to keep the food he is eating from coming back up.
Our plans are:
1) Continue the Prevacid, with a few adjustments on the time that we give it.
2) Increase bottle feeds from 5 ounces up to 6 ounces on the days I am at work (3 days/week).
3) Add 1.5 teaspoons of formula to each bottle (of expressed milk) to increase the calories (only on my work days).
4) Add an extra feeding during the day, on the days I am home since we are still exclusively nursing.
5) Hold off on starting cereal and baby food until 6 months of age.
6) Go back to elimination of dairy from my diet (I really enjoyed those 3 days while they lasted), and also eliminate eggs and peanuts/peanut butter, as they are common causes of food allergies in infants.
We follow up in one month, and I hope we see a drastic decrease in the frequency and volume of spit up. Momma is tired of being puked on!!!!
|Momma and her "Happy Spitter"|