Pages

November 19, 2011

Opportunities...

For the few of you that don't know yet, a few months back I left my job at Mercy Children's Hospital in order to pursue a fantastic opportunity with a great pediatric orthopedic surgeon that I have worked with through the hospital. Over these last few months I have learned so much and have been able to have a part in streamlining the function of the clinic while still continuing to be involved in the patient care side of things as well. The long term plan here will end with me finally finishing up my masters degree and working as a nurse practitioner in the office.

As part of my training, I had the opportunity to attend a casting & splinting conference over the weekend that was hosted by the National Association of Orthopedic Technologists.
The instructors were fantastic and really made it a great learning experience. We had a lot of opportunity for hands on practice, learned some helpful cast application tips, along with hearing some great lectures regarding fracture types, casting complications, and coding & billing.

Here are my very first casts I put on, and me getting my bilateral short leg casts taken off.

The instructor Kenny used me as his 'model' throughout the class, so I was able to get a close up view of many of the casts we learned to apply!

Of course, spending the weekend in warm sunny Fort Lauderdale wasn't too bad either. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to do any exploring while I was there.
I am so thankful for this opportunity and am looking forward to being able to share my new found knowledge with the rest of my team and to be able to put it to use with my patients.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers